Friday, November 21, 2008

Jon B.

Jon B is one of my favorite artists. Although he is not as old school as some of the artists featured on this blog, he is an artist that I listened to as a teenager. He is somewhat old school because he has at least 10 years under his belt as a major artist.
He made his way on the scene when he did a song called "Someone to Love" with Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds in the mid 90's. He also has a song with the late great Tupac Shakur called "R U still down". He has written and produced songs for Toni Braxton, After 7, and Color Me Bad.
Jon B was born Jonathan David Buck in Rhode Island in 1974. His father was a music professor and his mother was a concert pianist. His family was deeply rooted in classical music. He learned to play piano at age 9. He moved out to California at age 5 where he frequented his grandparents music store. There he heard artists such as Earth, Wind and Fire, the Bee Gees, and Donna Summer. As he got older some of his musical influences include Stevie Wonder and Babyface. Jon did not choose to go down the classical path. He liked music with a beat. In addition to the piano Jon B. plays the drums and bass guitar. After his success with "Someone to Love", labels didnt know how to accept him because he was a white guy who sang traditionally black music.
My perosnal favorite album is Cool Relax. Today Jon B is back with a new album and his own label. The album is called Hopeless Romantic. He has set the precedents for others who are now doing what he was doing 10 years ago. When asked his opinion on Robin Thicke he said "-they always ask me what do I think about his success, and I tell them straight up, I'm not worried about another grown man."
Check out the Interview!

2 comments:

Umroh Al Haneef said...

hi..me from indonesia..nice blog..your blog make me remind when I was in high school...visit my blog, yups?

SARFRAS said...

Hi,

I liked ur blog and would like to share mine with U

http://sheikhsarfras.blogspot.com/ (Live TV,Radio,Auto News,Interesting websites …. )

http://365goa.blogspot.com/ (Everything about Goa – A tourist paradise …. )

http://gadgets4blog.blogspot.com/ ( Gadgets, Tips & Tricks, Technology, Ad tools …. )

Do pay a visit. It would help if U click on some advertisement on my blog. Thanks !